Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sticker Shock

For the people who know me, I love to cook. However, like most people, I get tired of doing dishes and thinking creatively, so going out to eat is a nice change (and a great inspiration at times).

Last night was not one of those times. We decided to venture out for a light meal with a friend at a local restaurant we frequented before. It has been about a year though and in that span of time, food choices can change.

We ordered a sweet and sour calamari, skirt steak satay, and a platter of oysters with a half bottle of wine and a mojito martini. I don’t remember tasting the squid with the calamari because of the breaded substance encrusting the object (it could have been chicken for all we know), the steak satay was alright but nothing to jump up and down for, and the wine was fine…but for the cost…YIKES!

So I feel guilty today for spending that much money on food I could have prepared better, for less cleanup and fanfare and still have enough money to knock off two more bottles of wine.

To put it in perspective, we discovered a little nook near Pescadero, CA that has existed since 1931, which provides fresh soups (using vegetables grown in the back), excellent drinks, and pies to envy (Ollieberry, anyone?). We gorged and basked in the warm weather (see Ocean Therapy below) for about half the price of the above-mentioned meal.

So, I think I will stay home for a little while, mixing, matching and designing my own taste explosions (see Chesca) until I get the motivation to venture out again. I am trying not to think of the better purchases I could have made with the money I blew away last night .

Image above: Copyright Jill Greenburg--Check out her series...while looking for an image, I ran across this fantastic portrait photographer. Her series is called End Times

3 comments:

exskindiver said...

re the picture, i can almost hear the shrieking.
over-priced food definitely gives me that 'morning-after' feeling. (reference to your two posts ago...)
but once in a while it is good to remind yourself why food tastes so much better in the relaxing
(and economically sound) confines of one's home.

Charissa said...

Steve and I have discovered the same thing. We enjoy cooking so much that when we eat out, it seems much too overpriced especially here in touristy Galena.
By the way, was Ocean Theerapy located in Half Moon Bay?

Wanderer said...

Near Half Moon Bay...In Pescadero, CA.

Maybe our future destination...