Friday, June 12, 2009

Peeping World

Listening to NPR the other day to Hal Niedzviecki, blogger and author to Peep Diaries, I decided I am interested in his perspective on the new “social” exposure on networks. Recently I was asked to join yet another social network so I could keep track of a former co-worker who I haven’t spoken to in two years. If I join (which I won’t), I will be a member of 5 different social networks, which apparently are helping me keep in touch with friends and colleagues while networking for future career options.

Honestly, I am overwhelmed with keeping in touch. Throughout my brief life, I found difficulties picking up the phone to just “chat” unless I had prepared something interesting to talk about. As I get older, I notice that my major events I could talk about are few and far between. When the question arises, “What have you been up to?” the response, “Same as usual.”

So I joined Facebook last summer as a way to stay “in touch” with people I was working with at Stanford. I experienced the initial rush and excitement of finding people I haven’t seen in several years or people I haven’t talked to since high school. Then comes the voyeurism—I want to befriend you just to see where you have gone in life, but do I really care about you now? But I believe you befriend me to do that same life-check. Will we chat? Most likely not. So currently I have about 100 friends, but I could shave about 20 off and we wouldn’t notice any change to our lives. I currently have a friend request that I don’t really want to accept because I haven’t talk to this person in 12 years and we were not that close 12 years ago. Interesting predicament: choosing “friends”. The blogger and author shared on the NPR piece that he decided to throw a party and invite all his 800 Facebook friends, partly to see them, partly to experiment with the friend aspect of Facebook. Only 1 showed up.

So, do we really have friends? I screen away students from Facebook for hopefully obvious reasons, and my contacts are mostly family. I check Facebook in a drug-like fashion (what is new?) along with Multiply, the various blogs I follow, LinkedIn, Ning.com, JPG Magazine, and the list goes on. Maybe I need to unplug for a while.

3 comments:

Aneka said...

My cr*p on the internet:
-blogspot
-livejournal
-plurk
-twitter
-facebook
-multiply
-deviantart
-plus a few more accounts in various things!

Just recently, I deleted my Friendster account. I haven't touched that one in lightyears and decided that it was time for it to go (no matter how many grade school memories it held).

Unplugging feels so good.

P.S. I changed my blog url to http://chroniclesofthecaffeinated.blogspot.com!

Sarah said...

I agree. It sucks up to much valuable time.

Unknown said...

For anyone who is on the lookout for an exclusive collection of Household leather Merchandise, subsequently glimpse not any further than the most beneficial label from the domain- Imaginative and prescient vision Exports. replica cartier This company possesses blossomed to be a renown Supplier in addition to Exporter of comprehensive collection of true Household leather Merchandise. rolex submariner replica The item carry to fruition sophisticated & modern range of Household leather Give Carriers, replica chanel sale Gals Household leather Carriers, Household leather Give Carriers, Household leather Storage compartments, Household leather Gals Storage compartments in addition to Household leather Pouches. The goods brochure encompasses. chanel replica Found in Delhi, this company possesses accumulated large endorsement in addition to attractiveness in each and every nook in addition to spot. Simply just wood on top of company’s web page hublot replica uk to recognise far more. For just a person, an important piece with the woman wallet is usually the woman makeup foundation case. It contains each of the knick knacks in addition to material that can the woman pass the woman time.