Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Local Call

Some of you may have listened to Barack Obama tonight address Congress. He spelled out some MAJOR objectives for his term. I understand his frustration, impatience and desire to push forward, but sitting listening to him (which hasn't happened in 8 years) I realize that he will not achieve what he wants.

I am not a pessimist but I know how politics work and we cannot sit like we used to. So I am calling to everyone to focus LOCALLY and figure out how you can improve your own community. If everyone focuses LOCALLY, then as a collective, we WILL achieve his objectives. The Congress and the President cannot do this...we have to take on our own destiny. If not, we will receive the consequences.

Be realistic. Can you help local businesses by buying from them? I know we are all watching our monies, but I want certain local businesses and farms around when the recession ends so why not support them? Can you be more environmental? Can you reduce your emissions (i.e. driving less) or use less plastic to reduce our landfill usage? Can you volunteer an hour or two at a locally sponsored institution...for example, your school or local park?

I understand some of the Republican rebuttal on less government intervention; however, while less government spending happened on local programs during the last candidate, it spent a s**t load of money overseas in wars and jobs. We have borrowed money from other countries. I and some of my friends have stated that if our taxes paid for something I can see, i.e. local improvement, I don't mind improving my community and environment. I get annoyed when my taxes are spent on programs that while affecting me abstractly, do not reflect my interest in focusing on my community, my family, my friends and my students.

To provide an example, my SIL with her family sponsor, embraces and promotes less use of cars by BIKING in Manila, Philippines. If you have never been there, imagine driving on a two lane highway with 3-4 lanes of cars, who may or may not want you there. They have worked hard to encourage others to pick up a bike before wasting money on gas in a car and the fever has spread. To see more: http://www.fireflybrigade.org/ What can you do?

2 comments:

K-Kix said...

this is way overdue ---- I like this post very much!!
:

Unknown said...

Possibly custom made makeup foundation carriers at the moment are readily available. The online world is usually a great learning resource to search for some sort of makeup foundation case which you like. dior replica Besides usually are many people more cost-effective in this article, although also you can go to the considerably even larger variety with like internet websites. rolex replica sale This can be the trickiest dilemma challenged by way of person. fake hublot No matter if your lover needs some sort of humongous case or maybe a itsy-bitsy just one will depend on the volume of factors your lover wishes to take or maybe no matter if your lover needs the item to be a standalone case. replica chanel In the event your lover wishes to carry it interior a different wallet, subsequently it becomes best to opt for a teeny makeup foundation case otherwise they in the event your lover wishes to take many material (it is especially for makeup foundation painters), they will invest in even larger people. fake gucci Rather then obtaining makeup foundation carriers which might be a model record in addition to work not any intent, fake cartier get hold of a case that has a volume of compartments in addition to limbs to add in modest weapons like nail bed clippers or maybe head buds.